Monday, March 22, 2010

Easter Wreath and Kid Craft Boat

This past weekend I decided to finally do my Easter wreath for my front door. To be honest my front door has been naked except for a hook since Christmas. I was trying to do a St. Patrick's wreath, but I didn't like how it came out. I made this with things from my local Dollar Tree (with the exception of the spray paint).




The ring itself was a light beige, but I like darker colors so I spray painted the heck out of it last Friday. I had found wire rimmed ribbon with the festive egg pattern and wrapped it and ended with a bow (securing with hot glue at strategic points) and then using a pink wire rimmed ribbon folded in half to make a loop to hold it. Next I hot glued plastic fillable eggs and Styrofoam egg ornaments to the bottom. I glued them not only to the wreath, but to each other in places so if one comes loose it can hang on to another egg.

Second, our Kindermusik homework. We were sick last week so we missed class. I kept meaning to look in our lesson book to see if we had any homework, but it slipped my mind till earlier today. It turns out we did have homework. We had to make a boat. With no car and only what we had on hand this is what we came up with...



First we drew a triangle on a cereal box (it was about 6 inches or so) and a matching one out of construction paper (scrapbook paper would have been cute too). We probably could have used card stock, but I wanted something sturdier. I had Alex cut it out the triangles. At this point a more thinking ahead mom would have had their kid decorate the construction paper with markers or stickers (or stamps, or whatever). I was not that mom.

We then used tacky glue to glue the paper to the printed side of the cereal box. I hole punched a hole for the sail. Then I cut at all the points. Fold each side up and fold each corner over one another. I then cut off one of the overlapping corners and hot glued the remaining corner together. Now you have a triangle with sides, a nice base so no one goes overboard.

We then took a straw and put it in our hole. We cut ours to a little more than 5 inches. Secure it on bottom (I'm a hot glue nut so that's what I did). Then we drew a sail out of construction paper and Alex cut it out. This time I was a little smarter and I let him decorate the sail with markers. I think hole punched three holes in it. I cut the top of the straw at an angle because it helped it slide right though the holes. We are both pretty jazzed about it. It of course could be embellished and cleaned up a bit, but I like the made by a three year old charm of the rough edges and crazy marks.

1 comment: