Saturday, March 20, 2010

Cranky Sharing Time

So last night was going to be like every other Friday. Some pizza and some flicks with my guys. Then I got the lame idea to go to Joann's because I didn't want to go into town this weekend and they were having a McCall's pattern sale.

As I've stated before, Joann's is pretty much all we have here with the exception of a high priced quilt shop. My mom used to work at Joann's when I was in high school (or college, sometimes it all bleeds together) and her and her co-workers were always helpful.

When I got there I saw two people working. An older woman and a "young" girl (younger than me). Another "young" girl arrived after I got there. I'm used to my Wal-mart back in Round Rock Texas where there was a woman always working that was really into fabric and helping people. Even at the Joann's in La Frontera they were kinda helpful. I know just from living here the last three and a half months that people in West Virginia don't believe in customer service. Like anywhere. Restaurants, stores, auto repair, anywhere. The Wal-mart greeters have frowns when you come in. Whenever I find someone that's helpful I go directly to them when I get where ever I am going. OK, whatever.

After finding my patterns and notions I needed I went to find someone to talk to about interfacing because I couldn't find the weight I needed. The older woman was ringing people up and the two girls were in the front of the store just yakking away. When I approached them they looked at me like I was interrupting their deeply important conversation. Then they really had no idea what I was talking about and weren't willing to help at all. Didn't even want to leave to go look at the shelf with me.

Then I find some other fabrics I needed and the older woman cut them for me. All the while one of the girls is yakking at her (instead of helping the customers that are lined up at the register or are wandering around looking for associates to help). I have no idea where the other girl is, but I'm confident she sure wasn't helping anyone.

I then remembered something else that I needed so I went to go find those fabrics. I come back to the table and there is finally someone else there (not in uniform so I don't know how anyone would know she works there) and she was good with the customer service, but she admitted she doesn't sew so she couldn't answer any questions. Frustrating.

Almost all the fabrics I bought were on sale, but I have an inkling I got mischarged on at least two. (So new rule, only go to Joann's when I'm bright eyed and bushy-tailed.) Then I had spent too much. I usually do a tally in my head while I'm shopping, but it got away from my and went from $40 to $90 awfully quick. (Damn fabric!) So, and I know how neurotic this is, I can't sleep because I spent too much money and I've given myself a stomach ache.

I know where I went wrong. I should have strolled in there gotten my patterns, my notions, and then only two regular priced fabrics for my two coupons and strolled out. No, I got over-excited like a new puppy (without the peeing on the floor, of course) and kept getting fabric. And, much like a puppy with an abusive master, I will keep going back to Joann's even though I feel like crap when I leave.

Just wanted to share...

1 comment:

  1. Grr!! That's terrible! You'd think with the economy in the toilet and people supposedly being desperate for a good job that they could hire someone competent. Sorry you had a bad experience. It's so easy to go crazy at the fabric store... I feel your "pain".

    ReplyDelete