Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Plan

The last week or so has been all about tracing and cutting.  I'm still not done, but I wanted to update with "The Plan" for the Halloween costumes.

Last year I was supposed to make a Jedi costume for my husband and son.  It didn't happen due to procrastination.  Also due to the fact that my husband had unrealistic opinion on the fabric he wanted me to use.  (Wool?  For Halloween season in Texas and Florida?  Really?)  This year I ignored my husband took matters into my own hands.  Here is fabric and pattern (Simplicity 5840):

View D

Next up we have my costume.  We are taking these costumes to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party at Walt Disney World in September.  They can get kind of touchy when you dress as a princess.  It's not allowed on a regular day (for adults).  For the party they allow it, but they watch you like a hawk to make sure you at no time do you try to pass yourself off as the actual princess.  (Everything short of following you around and yelling "You aren't affiliated with us!".)  For this reason I'm not relying on my princess Belle knock off dress (that and the fact that it's a 18-22 and I'm a 14-16 so I drown in it).  Disney hasn't had a Red Riding Hood movie (yet) so that is what I chose.

The cape:
View A
The dress (McCall's M4948):
View A
Loving the plan for the cape.  Too cool for just Halloween.  I can probably wear it while I vacuum and iron.  No one will ever know...

Finally there is the plan for short stuff.  I finally convinced him Buzz Lightyear was cool than a pumpkin or a gingerbread man (and learned my lesson about looking at costume patterns with my four year old next to me).  I'm going with Butterick 3244:

View C (obviously)
I still need to get the purple and the grey, but the jumpsuit is all white so I'm concentrating on that first.

Four items, tons of pieces.  More than I thought there would be.  Half way done with tracing and cutting though.  Wish me luck!!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Mickey Shirt #1

This is the first shirt I've made for our Disney trip in Sept (Simplicity 3856). 

Doesn't he look thrilled.

I had originally cut out the pieces last year before the move.  Then moving craziness ensued and it was lost in the shuffle.  Then it got shelved for other projects.  Finally I hunkered down to get it done and my concern that it's too small now was validated.  When I cut this shirt out I cut it for 3T.  I hoped it would run big and still fit when it was finished.  Not so much.  When I had him try it on I realized it was too small, but he can still wear it open with a tee underneath for the trip (I'm hoping). 

I really like these sleeves.  The little sewn in fold is adorable.  Unfortunately, this was the last pattern where I cut out the tissue included instead of tracing so I'm going to have to either trace and make adjustments myself or just wait till Simplicity is on sale at Jo-ann's again for 99 cents.

We now have 65 days till our Walt Disney World trip so I'm freaking out about our Halloween Costumes for the party.  I have them planned (Red Riding Hood for me, Jedi for Brian, and Buzz Lightyear for the little monkey), but now I have to actually make them.  Costumes really are my favorite thing to make so it will be fun, but I'm just paranoid I won't finish them in time or something equally disappointing will happen.

I wanted to let y'all know about a tip from the July 2010 Threads magazine that I'm loving right now.  With the Halloween costumes some of the pieces are bigger than the standard tissue paper I use to trace them.  Previously I just taped tissue together, but in the tips part of the issue they mentioned using plastic tablecloths on a roll like you use for catering.  I got mine at Sam's Club and it's perfect.  I used a black marker to trace and it doesn't bleed through.  So awesome.