Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Alex's St. Pat's Shirt

I mostly finished Alex's shirt.



It has no buttons, but I knew with the cool weather that he was going to have to wear something underneath anyway. He really likes this. When Alex was born the motif of the nursery was Frog Prince (my favorite color is green) so throughout his life he's had a lot of things with frogs on them. (I also call him The Allie Gator so he's got a bunch of those too.) I used the shirt pattern from Simplicity 2907 and the fabric is from Joann Fabric. I re-did one of the sleeves (the super poofy one) so now it's totally a boy's shirt.

I was going to applique a tee to go with it, but there was a slight problem with the tee I was going to use. I had bought a bunch of tees from Target on clearance. They were just in a big stack at $1.50 a piece so I bought a bunch. Fast forward to a few days ago when I pull out one that I'm thinking of appliqueing. I unfold it and....it has little girl sleeves. I checked the rest of them and it's the only one. Bummer. I should have just used the tee he's wearing, but I didn't remember he had it till it was too late.

Next up....I have no idea. I found the Mickey Mouse shirt I had been working on before the move and I could probably work on that, but I'm not sure. I have a bunch of those It's So Easy It's Simplicity patterns I'm thinking would be quick and good practice. I will have to go shopping for odds and ends though (bias tape, zippers, lining fabric, etc.) because I always miss something on the back of the envelope when I'm shopping.

Happy St. Patty's!




4 comments:

  1. Way cute!! The slim cut of the shirt is very big boy manly. I have that pattern, and I think there is just too much ease in the sleeve cap - thus, girlie sleeves. I've noticed this tendency with the so-called unisex patterns. They tend to be drafted for the girl and they add the boy on as an afterthought. Annoying, since there are so few good boy patterns out there. Before I started subscribing to Ottobre I always used Butterick 3475 for shirts and shorts for Logan. It's an all boy pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I, too, wish that there was a larger variety of actual "boy" clothing instead of just unisex for that age. I just took out some of the extra ease in the sleeves for my boys then finally just drafted a sleeve pattern that I used for a long time. Now that my boys are 17 and 19, male patterns are much easier to find thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that there are way too few boy patterns. When my son was little, there were a lot more to choose from. Fortunately, I kept most of them and can now use them for my grandsons. Don't the pattern companies realize that little boys like variety too?

    ReplyDelete