Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

I've been really busy the last two days, but last night I finally got around to making the Valentine's Day gifts for my guys. My guys got "boy-ish" cards and candy.

My husband loves English toffee and after looking at a couple of recipes I went with a recipe from The Idea Room.

Although I have a culinary degree and love making sweets I am not a big sugar candy maker. It's because I'm a multi-tasker and I'm not good at sitting there and watching something. I finally just put everything on hold and only paid attention to the candy. I made it with almonds because Target had a bulk item sale and saw a big jar of raw almonds. I toasted them myself on the stovetop and chopped them.

For my son the chocoholic I bought the name brand Strawberry marshmallows that were shaped like hearts and coated them in semi-sweet chocolate.

I love coating things in chocolate. My favorites are pretzels and nuts, but I couldn't resist those marshmallows. Marshmallows are one of the harder things to chocolate coat because they will melt in the hot chocolate. You have to work really fast, especially if you care about retaining the shape. I really like the way these turned out.

Because I was focused on other things all week I didn't get around to making stuff until last night. These Valentine's Day cards were made at 10pm (after getting up at a quarter till 6am) so they weren't super complicated.


For my son I went with a dinosaur and my husband got the robot.


This was our first homemade Valentine's Day. It also marked the first time the three of us are able to celebrate together. The last time Brian was here for Valentine's Day Alex was 9 months old. My husband helped our son make me a cute card filled with a bunch of images that Alex cut out himself. Adorable!

Later Alex and I are going to make jam-filled heart sugar cookies. He loves to bake!

No comments:

Post a Comment