Saturday, August 7, 2010

Red Riding Hood

Woo hoo!  I have nearly completed the cape!

Excuse the folded caplet, it really does lay fine.

It's Simplicity 5840 view A.  It still needs a clasp and to be hemmed.  I'm holding off on the hemming till I have the dress finished and can figure out how long I need it.  After I started sewing I realized most red riding hood costumes don't have sleeves and are more cape like.  This is a little more medieval, but I'm hoping if I shorten it up (a bunch) it will look fine.  My husband stated that as long as it's red and has a hood people will know what I'm going for.

This thing was a mountain of narrow hems.  The sleeves, the middle edges, the caplet, the hood.  I don't know if I saved any time with all the sewing the Threads method requires, but I definitely got a lot less frustrated.

Picture just doesn't do it justice.

This was also a lesson in READ THE FRAKIN' DIRECTIONS.  I was ticked at Simplicity because I cut out all the pieces and didn't have room to cut out the hood.  In the directions (just looking at the picture) it seemed I was supposed to cut it out of some random piece of stray fabric.  I managed to cut it in two pieces instead one in the scraps and added an extra 5/8" where they were supposed to be one so I could sew them together.  After I get to sewing I find out I was only supposed to cut one of the caplet and cut the hood out from the layer under that.  Oops.  You can't tell so no harm done, but lesson learned.  I had another cutting error/mad at pattern maker for no good reason, but I'm going to save that anecdote for the post when I finish the dress.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! It looks great! You don't look altogether cheerful, though. Thinking of that narrow hem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    My photographer gave me a hard time about taking the picture. I was this close [ ] to kicking some booty. I always have to take the pictures on vacations too. Grrr...

    ReplyDelete