Here is the vest:
You can see that there is an issue with one side being longer than the other lengthwise. Yesterday I thought about seam ripping and trying to fix it, but he was so excited to wear it I just let him go to school in it first. The top edge and the separating zipper line up nicely so the only fix needed is to adjust the hem. It has seam tape on the inside of the pockets, the armholes, and the collar so it looks nice on the inside as well. It's another case of ninja pockets, but if you look closely you can see them. They definitely blend in.
When I had bought the notions for this project I had mistakenly (drunkenly? j/k) bought a regular zipper instead of a separating zipper. I don't know how I made that mistake, but c'est la vie. A few weeks ago I went and bought the 22" separating zipper called for. It was huge! For a regular zipper I would have probably just adjusted it, but with a separating zipper I would have had to gotten all frustrated with the needle-nose pliers. I was feeling lazy so I went out to see what more appropriate size I could find. I was hoping for an 18", but I only found a 16". I think, if you disregard my mistake with the hem, that 16" worked in this case.
I know I haven't updated in a while so I want to include some (badly taken) photos of some projects I have finished since my last update.
Here is an outfit for a friend's little girl from an out of print Simplicity 5374:
I had purchased the pattern and fabric when my now five year old was a toddler. When I was unpacking I found the pieces already cut out so I completed it for my friend's daughter who was of the approximate age. My friend lives in another state so I could not adjust the straps correctly. I'm not positive I would make the jumper again because I don't like the way the straps come together and I really don't like putting buttons on kids clothes (I kept panicking and redoing them over and over). If I made it again I would do faux buttons and probably Velcro or snaps. I did really like the bloomers. It was a bit of challenge trying to pull elastic through an edge so tiny, but other than that I really liked them.
I also made Halloween costumes. My son was Woody from Toy Story. I bought the hat, the t-shirt and the bandanna. I used fabric paint to do the plaid on the shirt. I used Butterick 3244 View B for the vest and View C for the boots and belt. I omitted the fringe on the vest and just left the fabric whole. It ended up being too short and I had to add another piece at the bottom. Alex was pretty tickled with the costume.
My husband and I wanted to kind of match with our son so we did Simplicity 2172 and Simplicity 4083 (View C). We were in a time crunch because I was making them as we were preparing to go to Walt Disney World so I skimped on the buttons and do-dads. I have them so next time we want to wear the costumes I can add them, but for this occasion Velcro was our friend.
Now looking forward to the future projects. It's still cold here in VA and it's supposed to stay that way for a while. It seems to me like it took a long time to get cold so I'm hoping it will hold out. Next project I'm thinking of tackling is one of these two:
|Guess which one's mine|
Just a simple yet kind of fancy coat for myself.
I'm not a 100% sure which I'm going for just yet. I think it's going to be the family fleece, but I am really excited about the simple coat. We will see.