Thursday, June 2, 2011

More Baby Gifts and Simplicty Sew Along Skirt

Looking at my previous posts I realized I haven't updated in a month!  How did that happen?!  So I guess this is more of a monthly round up kinda post.  This month I made three things.  Two for tiny people and one selfish sewing project.

First up is a baby bib.  Last month I had made a bib for a baby shower I attended using Simplicity 2924.  Although I wasn't completely happy with it a friend at the shower thought it was pretty awesome and asked if I could make one for her little guy.  I had reviewed in my head what I had done wrong with the first one so I was more than happy to make another.  She's a little rock n' roll so I asked her if it would be cool to make it in a non-baby kinda pattern just for a little fun.  She's into zombie and skulls and has stuff for her kids in that style.  I really like the way it turned out!



Next up is a project I had actually anticipated making for previously mentioned baby shower, but ran out of time.  It's an infant pillow from Simplicity 2389.  I found out that the Wal-mart by my house has a row of pre-cut yards of fabric (and another Wal-mart around here still has an actual fabric department!).  Which means they also have clearance of said fabrics.  I picked up 2 yards of this pre-quilted pink check for $3!


I had felt already in my stash for the face.  The face took me a while.  I can still see the mistakes, but from afar it looks pretty cute.


Lastly, I have the skirt I made for Simplicity's Sew Along on Facebook.  I didn't contribute a lot, but I did read what others were saying and finished the project on Memorial Day.  I discussed it in my previous post.





I really like this skirt.  It's extremely spring-y, it twirls, and it has pockets!  It's got a side lapped zipper which took me a little fidgeting to get right.  After I had it hemmed (where I accidentally cut into the fabric instead the excess, oops) I put it on and realized I had accidentally sewed the lapped over part shut and had to emergency seam rip to get it on.

However, after I put it on I realized I really don't see any of the mistakes.  It still needs a hook and eye above the zipper, but I've already worn it twice without it so I'm not super concerned.  I will definitely use this pattern again.  Originally I had bought ribbon for the waist and pockets, but after putting it on one of the pockets I didn't like the way it looked so off it came.  I was unsure of the size.  In real life I'm a 16/18, but measurements said 22.  I made a 20 and crossed my fingers.  It's actually slightly big in the waist, but that's fine with me.  This makes me believe that I may be able to get away with a 20 for the Simplicity 2562 pants.

1 comment: